Thursday, September 29, 2016

Yesterday was a Beautiful Fall Day

Last night, before I went to bed, I changed the sheets.
I crawled into my bed, with its clean sheets,
and 
it was wonderful!
There is nothing, no pleasure, like jumping into a bed with newly laundered sheets!
Absolutely, nothing!
I felt the movement of the sheets as I shifted my body to get comfortable enough in bed to read.
I thought of the time when I was young, and my mother put newly laundered sheets on my bed!
They were stiff.
They were uncomfortable, 
and
it took a few days for me to get used to them.
By then, it was time to wash the sheets again, and hang them outside to dry.  
Today, and ever since I was married and moved away from home, I continue to wash my sheets weekly, but I don't hang them out to dry.
I don't know.
I don't buy into the myth of sheets dried on the line.
You see the commercial where the wind is blowing, and the kids are playing, all the while, Mom, or in these days, Dad, is hanging the sheets on the line to dry.
That night, everyone has beautiful smelling, clean sheets.
Nope.  Not me.
I want to wash my sheets in a machine,  use my unscented fabric softener in the dryer.
I want my linens to be crisp, clean, and soft.
Wrinkles are all right.
The wrinkles come out quickly, but this myth of childhood, when things were "better," well, I'm not sure they were better, they were different.
Different is all right.
I still want machine dried sheets!
(PS: The Title has nothing to do with this blog post!)
(Insert a smile and a wink here!)

No comments: