Monday, April 28, 2014

Easy Peasey Polymer Clay Tutorial - Heishi Beads

Heishi beads are easy to make using polymer clay.
Here's how you do it!

I took a chunk of scrap polymer clay.

I took a small piece of my clay and rolled it into a thin log.


I decided that I'm not crazy about this method, but it does work.
I slit the clay down the center of the log, but I didn't cut all the way through.

I inserted a mandrel I use for lampworking, but you could use a ticker wire such as 18 gauge instead.

Leaving the mandrel inserted in the log of clay, I rolled the clay thinner sealing the cut.
This is where you have to be careful.  You need to roll the clay enough so that the hole in the log will be round.

The other way to do this is to roll out your clay into a log and insert a mandrel or piece of wire through the log.  The only problem here is that the hole might be crooked through the log of clay.

I pulled the mandrel out of the log.  The hole is left in the log of clay.  Bake the tube of clay according to manufacturer's directions for half an hour.

After 30 minutes of baking, take the bead out of the oven.
Using a sharp knife or cutter, begin to cut the clay while it is still warm.
Be careful not to burn yourself.

I cut the bead into 1/8" pieces.  You can also cut the clay into 1/4" pieces.

Easy Peasey
Heishi Beads!

No comments: