Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I'm Raising Cane!

I recently joined a new Facebook Group called 52 Weekly Cane Projects.
The objective of this group is to learn how to make canes.  Each week there will be a link to a new cane project.  I joined when this group began, but I didn't catch up until this weekend. 

This pink cane is one of the second week's projects.  It was developed by Betina Welker and it's called the Pixelated Retro Blend Cane.  

The cane always looked so difficult to make, and although I didn't get the blend right, I do like the result.  I also found out that it wasn't so hard to make! 


The Mosaic Cane, developed by Elissa Powell was easy to make, and it was fun.  I saw some beautiful canes posted in the group.  Mine was very bright in comparison, but I am happy with it.





Now, the spiral cane is a basic cane.  I embellished my spiral with more spirals.  This should be interesting to use.  I used white and translucent clay for this cane. 












Other than a basic skinner blend, I am caught up.  Since I know how to make a skinner blend, I think I'll skip that one.  Now, it's on to bigger and more complicated canes.  Yikes!!!!

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

So cool! I find canes fascinating. There is a fair amount of math and faith rolled up in these! I took a weekend class with Heather Powers of Humblebeads in 2013 and it really opened my eyes. I loved what I made, but I know that it would be hard to make them for me long term. Still great techniques to know and try! Looking forward to seeing more of your exciting work. Enjoy the day! Erin

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

You can't go wrong with canes, Mallory. I've seen nasty-looking canes become beautiful art when turned into kaleidoscopes. And with an extruder, putting the geometry to work makes it easy and pretty. Your canes are lovely!

I joined the group awhile back, but too busy this month to do the basic canes covered thus far (I probably have old canes somewhere but that would be cheating LOL). I'll post something down the road

Unknown said...

Those are so cool Mallory. I love the colorful one. Make beads and things - they're beautiful.