Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Quick Toggles

I've reached an age where I no longer use 
lobster clasps or hooks on my jewelry.
I only use 
toggle clasps 
because of their ease of use.
Sometimes, when I make a piece of jewelry,
I realize 
I don't have a toggle to use.
I have resorted to making my own.
Here are some ideas that can help you.
They are easy to make and can lead you to much more creativity in your work.

I have made toggles using a big hole bead and 16 gauge wire for the post.

I have taken a bit of chain.  Removed one link.  Made a post.
See?  A toggle!
 
 You can take a washer and use that for the toggle.
Add a piece of 16-18 gauge copper wire for the post,
and you have a 
toggle.

You can take a washer,
stamp it,
texture it,
Add 16-18 gauge wire for a post, 
and you have, 
what?
A toggle.
Just a caution,
you can also use steel washers, but just know that you will probably wear yourself out trying to texture and/or stamp a steel washer.
My suggestion to you would be to add a patina to it,
seal the patina,
and use a silver plated wire for the post.

You can use a simple shape and make your own toggle. 

or...

You can buy one from me!!!
Click
to see this owl toggle!!!

I hope this post has given you some good ideas to propel you into using something ordinary and turning it into something
extraordinary!!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Love all of these ideas!! Making toggles was on my "learn-to-do" list ~ Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful toggles. There is nothing that says handmade better than a toggle to match the other beautiful work.