Monday, September 24, 2012

Symbols

Even though we are only heading into October, I have started to think about the holidaze--Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I don't make many "holiday" beads for my Etsy Store. 

This year, I've decided to add a few. 

When it comes to the symbols of Thanksgiving and Christmas, I try to be generic.  For example, take a look at this pine cone.   Even though it is neither Thanksgiving or Christmas, it gives me sense of home and family which, to me, equals either holiday.

I remember going to the Sandia Mountains, just outside of Albuquerque, and picking pine cones for decorations around the house for the holidays.  I remember the smell of the pine trees as the cold wind blew through the mountains.  I remember the prickly touch of the pine  aneedles as we dug through the needles to rescue the best pine cones.  I remember the pine nuts that we found and the ones that we bought to feast on for the holidays.  I remember the taste and feel of the pine nuts on my tongue.  The pine cone is the perfect symbol of the holidays for me.

So far, I only have the pine cone listed in my Etsy store.  I made a tree, but I dropped it and it broke.  Sigh!  Trees are another post entirely.

What symbols remind you of the holidays?  Trees?  Stars? Angels?  Turkeys?  I'd love to hear which symbols you like that remind you of the holidays.  Leave a comment and let me know.  





1 comment:

Torque Story said...

Hey, I just want to let you know that I featured your spiral post earrings tute on my blog today. Check out torquestory.blogspot.com. I enjoyed stumbling on your blog.