Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentinte's Day! and Pixie Treats

Happy Valentine's Day!
As you know, I dearly love Pixie Marie!
She's spoiled and loving.
She is my Valentine this year,
so, in response to the new revelations about the FDA's concerns about pet treats and food processed in China,
I decided that I would begin to make Pixie her treats unless the packaging showed me they were made in the US.
Her food is made in the USA.
So, I began my research.
I found most recipes that I found online contained about 2 cups of flour, whether it be wheat flour, whole wheat flour, rice flour or oat flour.
Like cookies, they needed a fat.
I used peanut butter.
Then you need a wetting agent.
You can use broth, juice, apple sauce, baby food.
Well, you get the picutre.
I also added some flavor enhancer which is a concentrated broth.
So, here's what I did.
I used 1 cup of rice flour and 1 cup of oat flour.

I added 1 cup of peanut butter to the flour mixture.

Then I added 2 small containers of peas, 2 large containers of chicken and rice baby food, 1 package of flavor enhancer, and, as a special treat, some well cooked and drained bacon.

I mixed everything together using a wooden spoon.  This is what it looked like.

I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

While the oven was preheating to 350 degrees, I formed the dough into grape sized balls and smashed them into cookie discs.

I baked the "cookies" at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
I cooled the "cookies" for about 5 minutes.
I ended up with two cookie sheets full of these cookies so the first batch cooled longer than the second batch.
After the second batch had cooled, I combined both batches on to one cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet back into the cooling oven for about a half an hour. 
This step helped to crisp them up.
I have the equivalent of two boxes of treats now for Pixie.
I plan to freeze them into four batches, then when Pixie wants a treat, she has one that I know is safe for her to eat.
I hate to admit this, but I tasted them, and, well, I didn't like them, but Pixie sure does!

Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Courtney Breul said...

I love this. Going to have to try for our pup!

Maggie said...

Happy Valentine's Day Mallory! Hope someone has a special human treat for you today.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Mallory, Why am I not surprised you tasted the cookie? Pixie Marie is one lucky girl!