Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Son, Nick, My Guest Blogger Today

Actually, Nick doesn't know he's my guest blogger today.  This is from a note he wrote on Facebook.  

Donate to my cause. Please
by Nick Hoffman

So, as most of you know, ever since my father passed away from Multiple Myeloma, I have been very passionate about raising money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation through this 5k they do every year.  All in all, I've raised about $7,000 in the five 5k's I've ran.  That's just a drop in the bucket compared to the $170 million dollars the MMRF has raised.  But, let me tell you, every dollar counts.

Life threw my family a big curve ball last July 9th of 2010 as my sister was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma.  Thankfully, a year later, her cancer is currently undetectable in her body thanks to many advances in research and treatment.  A stem cell transplant saved her life.  In the 7 years since my father has passed away, the advances have come partially due to the donations made by all of us to the MMRF and other cancer charities such as the American Cancer Society or the Jimmy V Fund.  And let's not forget the tireless efforts of Doctors, nurses, teachers and everyone else who dedicates many hours per day to working towards  a cure.  Believe me, the money goes to a good cause.

So you may have donated in the past to my fundraising.  Or you may have had some extra change when you've bought a sandwich, saw a small donation jar for some cancer research and dropped your change in.  You really have no idea how far each dollar goes.  Believe me, I've been there, I've been to the hospitals, I've seen the results.  My sister is living proof of those results.

Please donate to my fundraising efforts.  The MMRF 5k will be in St. Paul, MN on Sunday September 25th.  I will have to forgo the Bears vs. Packers game and then the endless taunting of Fil Torres after the Bears prevail in Victory.

The link to donate is (remember the title of this note):
http://support.themmrf.org/goto/teamnick

Me:  This cause is very dear to our family.  I know times are tough, but if you can even spare $1, it will help those who suffer from this disease.  Thanks.

No comments: