Wednesday, June 22, 2011

That was Then and This is Now

I remember being the one chosen,
and it was an honor among us grand kids,
to go outside,
under the biggest honeysuckle bush you've ever seen,
down where the spigot leaked,
to the patch of fresh peppermint that was fed by the dripping water
and 
pick the peppermint leaves for the fresh peppermint tea that would 
accompany
the enchiladas, beans and rice that we were going to have for dinner.
As the years went on,
I grew my own peppermint,
and I still have snippets of it in my teeny, tiny garden.  I am usually able to get a cup or two of the delicious tea, before the weeds take over and the peppermint begins to recede. 
Now, this "younger generation," and I never thought I'd use that term!  They do things the "new-fangled " way.  Jenny has a Kuerig made by Mr. Coffee, and she loves it!!!   She makes all kinds of one cup drinks in it, including, peppermint tea!  I have to admit I love the convenience of it, and I love the tea, but there are times I love to remember, way back when, I was chosen to pick the peppermint leaves for tea!


3 comments:

Denise Price said...

Tee-hee. :) Life can change rapidly.

But if you ever get the urge, feel free to come to my house and pick peppermint OR spearmint. We have tons of both. It won't be the same as in your childhood, of course, but we do have two nice rosebushes near our mint patch, so it's pretty. :)

rosebud101 said...

Thanks, Denise, I might just do that! Btw, I love your blog!

Unknown said...

My grandparents used to grow mint right outside their screened-in porch in the backyard and use that in their iced tea. The smell of it now always reminds me of that part of my childhood and how I loved being on their porch.