Monday, June 27, 2011

My Intentions for Today

One of the reasons I love animals is that they tend to live in the moment, no questions asked.  If there's food, they eat it.  If there's someone to pet them, they enjoy it.  If there's danger, they run.
If they're tired, they sleep.

Obviously, Walter is living, that is, sleeping in the moment.  He was tired, so he lay down on my bed and went to sleep.  Never mind that I was planning to use the space creatively.  Never mind that I had hopes of using my computer there, too.  He was happy to live in the moment, make himself comfortable and sleep.

I had to stop and think about this.  I had wanted to hammer and make some components for a bracelet I was going to make.  Since I wasn't in control of the environment, (I have been well trained,) I stopped.  Walter needed his sleep.  I fussed a bit about this.  Then the decision was easy.  I decided to be happy.  I put away my tools.  I crawled into bed, and I took a nap.  When we both woke up, we felt better.   I was less crabby, and that felt good.

Call it making lemons into lemonade, or simply realizing that I can't control what other people do or say.  (In this case it was an animal, a cat.)  I can only control my reaction to what is said or done.  I was happy I took the nap. My intention for today was to accomplish something concrete.  It didn't work out, but I learned.  Animals know what to do.  They don't worry about the future.  They only think about the now.  I'm not sure I could live this way, but I'm sure happy I took that nap!

What do you do when you get stressed?  How do you react to what people say and do?  I'm interested.  Let me know!

1 comment:

TesoriTrovati said...

Great lesson from Wise Walter!
Enjoy the day!
Erin