Monday, June 20, 2011

Kick The Can

When
announced their 
I new what I was going to make!

The challenge was to think about a time when you were a teenager or younger and
design a piece of jewelry 
based on something you did well
and were proud to tell people about.

When I was a young 'un,
the things that I loved to do,
in this order,
were:
1) Read, anything and everything.

2) When I wasn't reading,
we were playing school, and I was either the teacher or the smartest kid in the class.  (Go figure, school was out, and here we were playing school.)

3) Play kick the can.  For those of us who remember, someone would find an old can laying around in the street.  (Do you wonder now how we managed to survive all of those germs?) S/he would begin to kick the can around.  Of course, others in the neighborhood would join the game until we all got bored or we were called home for supper.  I remember running all over the street, into yards, getting yelled at to stay away from the few flowers in arid New Mexico.  I remember jumping for joy when I got a turn.  I remember the occasional kick in the ankle when more than one of us attacked the can at the same time.  I also remember kicking the can so hard that I fell flat on my back! 

This monthly challenge brought back so many memories.  There were faces, bodies colliding, bent, dirty cans.
Fun in the summer, until we became too old for such nonsense.  Now, we remember.  I loved kick the can!

5 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

I loved reading your list of things you were good at doing! The Diet Coke can necklace is too cool!

rosebud101 said...

Thanks, Ang!

TesoriTrovati said...

You and I led parallel lives. I don't recall a lot of kick the can, but flashlight tag was all the rage. But I always was the teacher...and then I became one (for 5 years a lifetime ago!). Wish someone had encouraged me to do art instead.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

DVArtist said...

Those were the days when kids actually "played" outside. I had a great time growing up games like Kick the can. The necklace is perfect.
Nicole/Beadwright

steufel said...

Love the story. ,love the piece!