Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Art Bead Scene February Monthly Chanllenge




The inspiration for the Art Bead Scene February challenge is this painting titled
"Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose" by John Singer Sargent. You can read more about this beautiful work of art by clicking on the word February.

As soon as I saw this painting, I immediately thought of a glass I love that I have been using sparingly because it is no longer made.
The name of the glass is Orange Sherbet. I have hoarded the little bit that I have, but I knew that, for this challenge, I would be using it. Can you guess what objects made me think of Orange Sherbet? If you said, the lanterns, you're right.

The next day I was busy using my precious Orange Sherbet on the torch. I needed a focal, too, and I made one that I never used.
I didn't need to do that. A few days before I saw this print, I had attempted a layered bead that I couldn't complete when I worked on the torch because my bead release broke. The bead looked all right but there was a bit of bead release on the edges of the holes. There were also some spots where I hadn't been able to finish encasing this bead. It looked rather rough. It reminded me of a large nugget you might find in the ground. As I walked by my bead pile, I saw it, and I knew what I would do.

Here's my entry for the ABS February challenge.


I call this piece "Lanterns" because of the lantern shaped beads that I made for it.
The nugget is huge, but it doesn't distract from the piece.
I think I've captured the spirit of the piece.
I did use some of my Orange Sherbet glass.
All in all, it was a very good day.