Sunday, November 14, 2010

This Little Rock


At the end of summer, I found this little rock in the yard. I don't know where it came from, but, one day, it was just there. I brought it into the house immediately and laid it aside for future inspiration.

While I waited for the inspiration, I kept looking at this little rock. The rock itself looks as if someone, somewhere, chipped out the shape. Was it a tool for a small child at one time? Did a mother or a father make it for their child so that this child could learn to grind corn, make other tools? Was it a toy for young hands to hold and admire?

I moved the rock around to view it from different sides. I stood it on its side. I tilted and turned it, then I saw it!

I had purchased Jennifer Geldard's tutorial on making The Bird. You can still find this wonderful tutorial here. Next step in the inspiration, autumn flying into winter. Snow Birds! (More to follow with the snowbirds on Etsy.) As Erin Prais-Hintz says, "Treasures Found: Inspiration is Everywhere!" This little rock has quickly become a treasure found, not only for inspiration, but for wondering.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

What a cool rock, I can sure see why it caught your eye!

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a unique formation. It sort of looks like a deformed gingerbread cookie!