Wednesday, November 3, 2010

So, You've Got the Headpins, Now, what do you do?


I made these headpins using brass wire.
Here's an easy peasy tutorial on how to make some earrings.


Step 1:
Slip a crystal or other bead on the wire.
(I told you this was easy.)


Step 2:
About a 1/2 and inch away from the bead,
bend the wires using your fingers or a mandrel of your choice.
Here, I used a knitting needle.


Step 3:
Using a ruler,
measure about 1 inch down from the bent part of the wire.


Step 4:
Cut the wires using your wire cutters at about the 1 inch mark.



Step 5:
Using a file (I used an emery board,) file the ends of the wire so that there are no sharp edges.


Step 6:
Gently work harden the wire. I used my chasing hammer and bench block.
I hammered the top edge of the earring flat.


It only took about 10 minutes per set.
It's quick and easy to do.
Headpins work great!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

What a good idea! Those earrings are so fun!

angelinabeadalina said...

I didn't know it was that easy. Now, I really wish I could keep my ears pierced so I could make some earrings! I've tried piercing my ears three different decades in my life, think fourth time would be the charm?