Friday, December 4, 2009

Rice Bags



I use them all of the time! They are great for sore, aching, tense muscles. They are great for the sinuses. They keep us warm at night. Rice Bags! I love mine. The best part is that they are easy to make with or without sewing. Rice bags also make wonderful gifts! Think of that special person in the nursing home. They might appreciate your handcrafted rice bag.


When making a rice bag, I like to use pretty fabric. I cut the fabric across the width and make a long tube. I stitch across leaving one of the short sides unstitched. Before sewing up the unstitched end, I add my rice. I fill the tube 3/4 of the way full of UNCOOKED, DRY RICE. Please remember UNCOOKED! Do not use MINUTE RICE! Only use rice that requires cooking time and is not ready in one minute. I cannot emphasize that enough!!!!!!

When the rice bag is filled 3/4 of the way full, stitch up the unsewn end. You now have a rice bag.

You can make rice bags big or small. They can be made the size of your forehead. You can make them big enough to cover your feet, and, in a pinch, you can use a sock!





















Long white tube socks work the best. This sock is just here to give you a visual. Open the tube sock and fill 3/4 of the way with UNCOOKED RICE. That rule won't change. Tie a secure knot at the top of the sock. You have a quick and easy rice bag.

Rice bags can be frozen, but I like to use them warm. I toss my rice bag or bags in the microwave. Since microwaves vary, I won't recommend a time. Just play around with the time. l wouldn't heat it for more than 2 minutes. Two minutes in the microwave, make my rice bags very warm. Start out with 1 minute and work your way up to the temperature you like. When I'm tense, I put my rice bags on my shoulders. When I'm cold in bed, I really warm those rice bags up and put them under the covers. When I wake up in the morning, they still have a little heat, and I have been toasty warm all night. I have found that rice bags work well for my headaches, too. If you like, add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to the bag. The fragrances are wonderful! I use my rice bags all year long. Since it's that time of the year, I need to replace the ones that have fallen apart from vigorous use. What do you think? Have you ever used a rice bag? Would you, if you could?

No comments: