Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Honey, I Shrunk the Plastic!

Yesterday,
I blogged about the video that demonstrated how to fuse plastic bags.
I asked Why?
but, in truth,
it didn't matter.
I knew I had to try it!
So,
here are the results.

These are 3 different full sized bags, or they used to be.
I followed the directions
as shown on the video.
As I pressed the bags,
they, literally,
shrunk.
Then it occurred to me,
maybe,
just maybe,
the iron was too hot.
Step 2.
I lowered the heat on the iron.
I followed the directions.
The results were better.
I liked these results better.
So,
my question again is:
Why?
What should I do with these bags?
I'm looking at the bags
with the potential
of jewelery components.
Any ideas?

6 comments:

Louise said...

This is something new to me! At first I thought you'd put them in the KILN! LOL! Just be careful Mallory, we don't want you breathing in nasty fumes.

angelinabeadalina said...

You have pretty shopping bags! I have a drawer full of white ones and blue ones. I know! This means I need to go on a shopping spree to collect pretty bags before I attempt this project, LOL! Can't wait to see your next step with these!

Unknown said...

very cool....
I want to try this...
mona

Leah said...

what about making cute little bags to package your beautiful glass beads? You could use the neat fused bags you've made as fabric and sew little sacs out of them

rosebud101 said...

Leah, that's a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with, and I'll post it here at a later date! Thank you!

Deb said...

Ohh Mallory - when I watched the video the other night, my mind filled with ideas.

Sadly the supermarkets here have just started charging for those sorts of bags (In an effort to cut down on the plastic going into landfills) & other stores tend to use a heavier duty type of bag, so I'm hoarding mine (most plain white or bright yellow) to line my waste bins.


The first thing I thought of for you was earring cards. Perhaps you'd need to do it in a slightly thicker ply though.