Friday, April 24, 2009

My Science Experiment


I feel like a kid with a new science experiment.
When Spike and I were out walking the neighborhood,
I noticed that there was moss growing on the trees.
I remember thinking,
"This could be fun."










I peeled a little bark from 3 different trees.
Each bit of bark had bits of moss growing on it.



















Sorry about the photo quality on that one!



















I filled a small jar with some pebbles for drainage and some soil that I had.



















I added the chips of wood and a little bit of water.

In an hour, I already saw a difference!



















We'll see what happens as my mini garden grows, if it does. No more watering, now, for a while.
I'll let you know how this experiment goes, and whether or not, it will become a bead!

4 comments:

Sue Choppers-Wife said...

Interesting, Mallory...I love tree lichen/moss but I never thought of enhancing it this way...will be neat to see what happens from here.

TesoriTrovati said...

Hello! That sounds like something fun to do with kids...I will have to try that. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the bloggy world! Enjoy the day! Erin

angelinabeadalina said...

Wow, how's it going after a few days? I love lichen/moss, too, and it would be so cool to be able to transplant some of it. Just think of the possibilities for making a garden spot look instantly aged and timeworn and interesting.

rosebud101 said...

So far, the experiment is going well. I did have to water it again today because the little bit or lichen/moss was shrinking. It will be fun to see if it spreads. I hadn't thought to put it in the garden, but that's a great thought, Ang.