Saturday, March 21, 2009

This Is a True Story



One day, I had a repairman in my kitchen to work on my dishwasher. I noticed he kept looking up at the sink. He had a puzzled look on his face. I noticed that he would glance at the sink, then look at me.
After the repairman left, I was loading the dishes into my newly repaired dishwasher, I happened to look at what was next to my sink. I started to laugh. I had, approximately, a dozen empty wine bottles sitting there waiting to be soaked so that the labels could be removed. I can only imagine what the repairman was thinking as he looked at all of those empty wine bottles. On top of that, he had come into the kitchen through the garage where I store my extra wine bottles, and they were easily seen by anyone who walks through this entry into my house. When I realized what he had seen, and most likely though, I had to sit on the floor I was laughing so hard.
I only wish he had asked. I use the empty wine bottles that friends save for me. I use them to make glass beads. I put the bottles into a plastic bag. I drop them on the concrete floor of my basement. I take the chunks and use them to make glass beads. They are wonderful! I love making beads this way! Not only am I following the credo of: reduce, reuse, recycle, I am making some beautiful beads.

6 comments:

Sue Choppers-Wife said...

Ha...he prolly was miffed that you didn't offer him a glass :D You know I love cobalt...pretty!

angelinabeadalina said...

Beautiful shell and funny story :) That's great that you reuse all those bottles! I keep saving bottles and jars, but I still can't get up the nerve to try melting them...last time I tried, I tried to do some funky shaping of the existing bottle and the existing bottle thanked me by bursting all over the worktable.

rosebud101 said...

I've had that happen many timss, Ang. I've never tried a whole bottle, but what I have learned is that you have to warm up that glass before you introduce the glass into the flame. That doesn't mean it won't explode. It just means that helps.

Louise said...

Mallory, that is too funny! He was probably wondering how come you were still standing!

I gave your blog an award - you can see what it is here http://www.fireseed.ca/?p=1944
:D

Sharon Driscoll said...

Oh how funny. It sounds just like something I'd get myself into. I haven't tried the bottle thing yet but it does sound like great fun. What wine comes in blue bottles? I must really live in the sticks. All I see is Boone's Farm.

rosebud101 said...

Sharon, I don't know what kind of wine comes in blue bottles. I rarely drink. These are bottles that friends give me. I think a lot of different types of wines come in the blue bottles, though.