Monday, March 30, 2009

Sylvie's class - Finding Your Voice as a Glass Beadmaker-People Who Just Won't Leave


Sylvie Elise Landsdowne began a class on Facebook to help the glass bead maker find their voice and develop their creativity. I was one of the lucky people to be accepted into the last round. I am also one of the lucky people who just won't leave. There are those of us--Round 1 and Round 2--who continue to stay by simply not leaving.

This week's assignment involved taking a photo of one of our beads and creating a negative image, then we had to make a bead using that image.

Thank you, Deb Batten of Firebirdflamework on Etsy and her website, for taking the photo I sent you and providing me with a negative of that photo. I do appreciate it.

Obviously, this is the negative of the photo that I sent to Deb. I was amazed by the colors of the petals. Here's the orignial photo.

















That's quite a change isn't it? Well, now here's the new bead that came from the negative. I guess it's all right to show it since I posted it in the group photos already.

















So, what do you think? The petal color isn't really a color I would work with normally. I usually go for the brighter, bolder, primary colors. So this was quite a switch for me. Now, I'm wondering just how I can use these colors in other beads. Hmmm!

Thanks, Sylvie! By the way, be sure to visit Sylvie's store on Etsy and Sylvie's new website. The link for Sylvie's blog is at the top of this page.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Hey Ms M - that looks absolutely brilliant! You have done an outstanding job on it & managed to capture the translucence feel of a negative image, through the use of the transparent glass for the petals admirably!


You know looking at that image reminds me of the photo negatives that were around in the 60's - I seem to recall they were big & came single (or maybe two were joined together). I remember looking at them & thinking how funny I looked with white lips & eyes. Hey who am I kidding - I still look funny.....

You are most welcome for the photo 'conversion' - any time ;o)

angelinabeadalina said...

I like that transparent yellow/amber for the petals, too! I think both color combos make great flowers, for slightly different reasons. The original colors have such a fun vibe, and the colors from the negative have a more delicate, feminine feel.

Oh, man, now that Deb mentioned the negatives, I'll have to dig through the loose photos in my mom and dad's stash. Most of the pics are in albums, but the loose ones left in the boxes have negatives mixed in with them. Goofy fun, looking at those!

Sue Choppers-Wife said...

I find it very interesting that the colors in the negatives are the complementary color of the original colors...pretty neat way to explore new colors!

Sylvie said...

Thank you for your mention Mallory. I'm glad you enjoyed the assignment. I think it's a quick and easy one to change things up in designs we're already comfortable with making.

Glad you liked it! AND glad you "didn't leave" :)