Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A St. Patrick's Day Memory From First Grade



Yes, that's me.
I was six years old at the time, and I was in first grade.
The activity began at the beginning of March, as we started to prepare for our St. Patrick's Day Feast and celebration.
As first graders, it was important for us to show everyone at St. Mary's Grade School how good we were.
Not only would we perform for the rest of the school, on a real stage, but our parents were invited to the celebration, too.
The pressure was on.

Sister Mary Claudia was my first grade teacher.
I don't remember the name of the good sister who taught music, and would coordinate the program, so we shall call her
Sister Mary Music.

Well, Sister Mary Music came into our classroom to divide us up into groups for the celebration.
Sister Mary Claudia suggested that I go over to the chorus. So I did. While Sister Mary Music began to work with the chorus and the band, Sister Mary Claudia began to organize the dancers.
We heard the first song on a record. It was called "MacNamara's Band." Sister Mary Music asked us, the chorus, to join in the singing. She passed out instruments to the band. How she coordinated everything, at the same time, still amazes me!

Soon, we were singing and the band was playing.
Sister Mary Music started to go around the room listening to everyone play or sing. She stopped in front of me. She walked away and listened to a couple of other singers.
Practice ended.

A couple of days later, Sister Mary Music was back with a couple of helpers.
The band was playing.
The chorus was singing.
The dancers were dancing.
Sister Mary Music began to walk around the room again. She stopped and listened. She walked away, then she came back to me.
After practice, she called me out in the hall.
"Mallory," she said, "Would you like to play in the band?"
Well, of course, I would! Who wouldn't? There were little drums. There were little flutes. There were, yuck, stupid, little triangles.

Well, the little drums were all taken. The little flutes were taken. I know there other instruments in the band, but they were taken. There were still triangles left.
Yes, I got to play the triangle.

I'm not sure if she didn't like the way I played or improvised when it came to the triangle, but Sister Mary Music kept looking at me when I played.
I was having fun making my own rhythm with the band.
I didn't like playing the triangle only once in the song.
After class, Sister Mary Claudia and Sister Mary Music called me out in the hall.
"Mallory," they said, "Would you like to dance with the dancers?"
Of course, I would, and no more stupid triangle.

St. Patrick's Day finally arrived!
We were on the stage in front of the entire school and our parents.
The chorus and the band began the first song.
The big kids and the parents applauded.
Our first grade class was so proud!
We were really showing them how good the first graders were!

Next, the dancers came out.
I wore a skirt that was green and round and that twirled when I circled.
I had a partner, and his name was Arthur.
Well, we began a first grade version of a modified square dance to Irish music.
We were spectacular!
Everyone clapped and stood up for the first graders!
I'll never forget that.

Even though Sister Mary Music didn't think I could sing.
Even though Sister Mary Claudia and Sister Mary Music felt that I shouldn't improvise when I played that stupid triangle.
I think,
I ended up in the greatest place of all!
The dancers were the best!
Everyone applauded, too!



5 comments:

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Oh My! I didn't know you were a Catholic Girl. They were the ones who had all the FUN when I was growing up. And at St. Mary's they had this nun - Sister Mary Margaret. She was the brunt of all of our jokes. I'm a semi-wayward Catholic...my Mom wouldn't get me baptized when she found out "father" had three girlfriends in the congregation.

What fun we had! You couldn't make this stuff up.

Cute picture too girlfriend. Did you ever roll your skirts up?

angelinabeadalina said...

You're such a cutie, Mallory! Love that picture, and love that story! Bet you and the young gentleman wowed 'em all with the dancing.

P.S. LOL, Sharon, bet you have some interesting stories from school!

rosebud101 said...

Sharon, we are going to have some fun talks at the B & B Show about our Catholic School experiences!

Ang, thanks, I thought I was cute, too!
rofl

Rita'z R-tistic Ramblez said...

Mallory, What a great story. You certainly have a wonderful way with words. I love the photo, too.

Deb said...

Mallory - I read this yesterday & cracked up so much...that I forgot to comment. Clever.not.

I agree with Ang - you're such a cutie. I'm afraid that B&W photo's of me as a kid didn't look any better than photo's of me do now.

I'm concerned about all this FUN you Catholic girls had...... remind me to tell you of the (not the nasty one, sadly) neighbour that has just moved out & the fun she had.
I hope it wasn't her type of fun. LOL!