Friday, October 3, 2008

So, Creativity, How do you do it?

Here's the definition I found of creativity at dictionary.com:
3 dictionary results for: creativity
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This cre·a·tiv·i·ty [kree-ey-tiv-i-tee, kree-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
1.the state or quality of being creative.
2.the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
3.the process by which one utilizes creative ability: Extensive reading stimulated his creativity.

Of the three definitions, #1 didn't answer my question--the state of being creative. Well, what is that? #3, Meant about as much.

So, I looked at the second answer. That made sense. The ability to transcend TRADITIONAL ideas, rules, patterns. Then I thought about my creativity. I know I'm a creative person in many ways, but lampwork has confounded me. I feel very strongly that as I have been learning lampworking I have been rule bound and very traditional. I have tried to make the perfect bead, puckers, balanced, centered. That's necessary in many cases, but it is TRADITIONAL.
I worked to try new colors that would react with each other, that is basic learning. I am learning to make sculptural beads. That is a deep learning experience to develop skills, heat control. Again, although needed, TRADITIONAL.

I often feel that I am stuck. The reason never struck me until now, but I have been, and am still learning BASIC SKILLS--TRADITIONAL. Necessary and needed, I'm beginning to think I am ready to fly, to move beyond what I have been doing, to mature and develop my style. I think I'm ready to move on. I will still learn from the Masters of this great art, but I want to become a Master with my own style, my own trends, my own feelings.

I see Angelina Beadalina, Anne Ricketts, Tink, Loren Stump, Corina, Bernadette Fuentes, Marcy Lamerson, to name only a few, and I think, they have flown beyond the basics creativity. Yes, they have moved to the point where they can fly, now I want to fly. I want to join the ranks. I am ready to be creative.

So the question becomes, how do I accomplish this daunting feat called creativity? Of, course, I continue to work, but now is the time to add play. I don't believe there really is anything new under the sun. I honestly don't. There are just different ways of combining ideas and expressing it in your art. Good skills are very important, but so is art.

One of the ways I have used play to find art is through journaling. I sent Deb Batten a copy of some of the pages of my journal for her entertainment. Then I deleted the pages so I can't show you my play. However, the good news is, I found a new program on my computer. I tried it out, and I can show you what I made. This is harder to do on a computer, but you'll get the idea. It helps. I just let the drawings and ideas go where they would like to go. I didn't intend for this to be my journal page on the computer, but this is where my brain took me.


That dancing ant might be a bead some day.
Hmmmm! I like the guy next to the swirl and the face. That might be a robot bead someday. A cup of tea maybe? That could be a bead. I didn't know these ideas were in my head. Okay, I'm not one of the masters yet. I won't be for a very long time. I know that. I am beginning to realize, though, that I am creative. I'm ready to spread my wings and fly. I wonder where I'll go.

5 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

Fly, Mallory, fly! You've got in inside you, and all you have to do is let it out. That computer journal page is proof of what you told yourself you didn't know. . .you are creative and ready to fly with that creativity. It's a scary thought, but a touch of that fear will keep you going. Each time you conquer it for a bit, you become stronger, you become even more in love with creating! Go, woman! Fly!

rosebud101 said...

Ang, thank you! That means a lot coming from one of the Masters!

Deb said...

*flap flap ...crash* - that's the sound of a certain Batt attempting take off!

You know Mallory - to me creativity just involves a little thinking outside the square. You certainly do that - so I have no doubt that if you flap just a little faster then those wings are going to take you places!

Maggie said...

Mallory, I've seen a lot of creativity in your glass work through your use of color and design. You always seem to be pushing yourself, even if it seems traditional in your eyes.

I know the feeling of being stagnant and wanting to break free. I am there with you wondering where do I go from here?

angelinabeadalina said...

Me again :) I came back to officially roll my eyes at Deb's "flap flap...crash". Deb, you know better! You better go to your very own blog and scroll down through all the recent pictures (which are works of art on their own when you're using that spiral backdrop!). Alright, now I'm done cyber-scolding, LOL! Mallory, Maggie said it really well, too...we tend to be too exacting when we measure ourselves! Look at your own progress, and you'll see lots of festive colors breaking free from the glass and lots of sculpture ideas emerging :)